Hi! My name is Tara Hess and I am a Gentle Sleep Coach trained and certified by Kim West, LCSW-C (a.k.a. The Sleep Lady®). I received my Bachelor’s Degree in Elementary Education from the University of Oklahoma and then taught everything from second to fifth grade before “retiring” to be a stay-at-home mom. My first colicky baby hardly slept and therefore, neither did my husband or I. After successfully sleep training her I learned the skills and confidence to use on my second and third children, who were putting themselves to sleep and sleeping through the night from very early on. I was once the tired parent I enjoy helping today!
I have been working with families since 2011. I was one of the “First 50″ graduates of the Gentle Sleep Coaching Program, which is currently the most extensive & professional sleep certification program available. The program involves over 100 hours of training with a faculty panel that includes 2 medical doctors, a psychologist, an attorney, lactation counselor, postpartum doulas and a family therapist. Each coach must pass an exam and participate in case supervision with Kim West, LCSW-C (a.k.a. “the Sleep Lady”). Clinical supervision and ongoing advanced training are required to maintain certification as a Gentle Sleep Coach.
Some of my training topics included:
– Basic counseling and child development
– Sleep science and behavioral modification techniques to help parents of children age 0 to 6 years old.
– Secure attachment theory
– Support for the breastfeeding mother
The training also consisted of lectures from top specialists, including:
– Postpartum Depression from Dr. Shoshana Bennett, author and leading specialist on Postpartum Depression
– Medical Conditions and Sleep Apnea in Children led by Dr. Lewis Kass, Director of Children’s Sleep Center
– Sensory Processing Disorders and Sleep by Jodi Jennings, OTLR
– Temperament and Sleep by Helen Neville, BS, RN
And much more!